St Albans School Music Department has a wealth of extra-curricular activities for pupils to take part in:
· School Choir – performing twice a week in St Albans Cathedral for school services and special services. Our school Carol Service fills the Abbey twice over (over 2,000 in last years’ congregation)
· Chamber Choir – singing complex pieces ranging from Thomas Tallis to Eric Whitacre
· Symphony Orchestra – our elite performers performing in concerts throughout the year
· Senior Concert Band – a large group of players performing classical and popular works
· Jazz Band (Mainstream) – an excellent ensemble playing traditional standards and new works
· String Ensemble – opening the annual Prize Giving Ceremony in the Abbey and taking part in several concerts
· there are several other ensembles including a Junior Orchestra and Concert Band, String Quartet, Sax Group, Percussion Ensemble, two Brass Ensembles, a Clarinet Choir and more
Each year the school joins forces with St Albans High School to form the Joint Schools’ Choral Society – a blend of pupils, staff, parents and friends from both schools – to perform large scale works in St Albans Cathedral. Recent performances have included The Armed Man by Karl Jenkins, Vivaldi Gloria, Walton Coronation Te Deum and Whitacre Cloudburst.
There are several concerts spread throughout the school year in which the ensembles and soloists take part. These take place in the School Hall, St Albans Cathedral and the Library (a lovely venue complete with a superb Steinway Model B grand piano).
St Albans School has recently joined the All-Steinway School initiative and will soon be officially confirmed as one of only two such schools in England.
The School Choir recorded a new CD during May 2010 in the Abbey which has been selling rapidly, and is a good example of the musicianship on display at the school. Please email for more information.
The School’s music embraces a wide range of styles. There is a large amount of popular music taking place at the school with several rock bands meeting and rehearsing throughout the week and our new Recording Studio allows these to make the most of their talents; producing their own CDs with our industry standard recording equipment.
The department has undertaken several tours over the last few years, visiting New York, Paris and Tuscany to name but a few. We take a choir and various ensembles with us, giving performances of a variety of music in many different venues.
Instrumental lessons are available on a wide range of instruments and can be timetabled to suit each pupil’s needs.
The Music Department facilities are due for upgrade and expansion in the very near future.